Thursday, July 11, 2013

Five Reasons Why I Want To Unfriend You

1) I want to unfriend you because you betrayed me when we were in first year high school. I didn't think it mattered at that time - we were young, we were stupid and we made mistakes. But little did I know that that incident, of you falling in love with my ex and unapologetically asking me if it's ok to pursue your "budding love affair," would leave a bookmark in my memory book and would eventually define betrayal by a supposed "friend". Maybe it was partially my fault too, because my passive-aggressive self let you: I didn't protest and say, "Hey, you're supposed to be my friend! You're supposed to know that I still haven't moved on from when we broke up in elementary, and I'm still waiting for him to come around and woo me again. Oh and, a real friend does not fall in love with her friend's ex!" So yeah, I didn't stop you or him. It took him about a month to figure out that you were completely crazy about him (the kind of crazy he can't handle) before he blew you off. Meanwhile, you and I stayed friends all throughout high school, we even became so close at one point. My ex and I even reconciled and got back together, then we broke up again before graduation. Maybe you were his rebound girl from our first break up, maybe not.

2) I want to unfriend you because you're such a user. You asked me if I could help you get a network plan because you badly want to have an iPhone, to use my name, IDs, and bank accounts to open said network plan, and I obliged. Then right after you get your most precious iPhone, you didn't stay in touch, not even a text from your newest gadget courtesy of yours truly. Not that I miss you or anything, but I think it's common sense for a friend who just asked for a favor from a friend to make sure that said friend does not feel as if she was just used for purposes of possessing the hottest gadget in town. Again, I have myself to partially blame on this situation - my passive-aggressive self obliged to your request when I should have said no. At that time, I was unemployed and had nothing better to do so I figured it won't hurt to help out a friend. And when I got employed and wished to get a network plan on my name, I couldn't or at least not without a hard time getting approval for my second subscription, because then I have to prove that I can afford to pay for both plans. In all fairness to you, you offered to help me apply and use your name instead (because now you already have a bank account and some legit ID). But I didn't take on your offer because it's too much hassle already and in the process, I would be more entangled to you. So, no thanks. We still stayed friends after this. You attempted to schedule our "date" as if to bond and return the favor; you occasionally asked how I was, only to be followed by a request or a favor to ask (again about the network plan); and you greet me during holidays and whatnot.

3) I want to unfriend you because I don't like how I feel about myself when I am with you. For starters, you make me passive-aggressive, which is not my natural state; you make me focus on you and you alone - like you suck all the attention and energy I have until I'm exhausted; and you make me do things that I don't really want to do in the first place. Maybe you're just persistent and annoying and irritating as hell that I would do anything for it to stop, only to feel bad about myself afterwards.

4) I want to unfriend you because this is an unhealthy friendship. I believe that in true healthy friendships, there's give-and-take, there's a time to talk and a time to listen, there's balance. Unfortunately, ours is you-take-what-you-want-and-don't-give; you talking all about yourself and listening without paying attention; and you being selfish. Sure, there were birthday gifts; there were random phone calls telling me your stories and how you wished I was there with you. But other than those things, our friendship doesn't really have a point - I mean, you weren't there when I needed a friend to talk to or when I needed someone to lean on; you don't attend any get together with our group of friends even when I personally invited you; in fact, we don't see each other and we don't even communicate often. So I don't really see the point on maintaining this draining friendship.

5) I want to unfriend you because I can. I am at the point of my life where friends do not just mean "we were classmates/batchmates in high school" but more of genuinely caring, helping, and understanding one another; I am at the point of my life where I don't want to be associated or defined by the company I keep; and I am at the point of my life where I try to maintain relationships that matter. I don't have to be friends with you just because we share a common ground that is high school, and I don't want to be friends with you because I genuinely don't give a f*ck about you anymore.


P.S. "Unfriending" someone is also applicable in real life, there's just no button that you can click on.

No comments:

Post a Comment